Monday, January 28, 2008

The Kindness of Others


There is something about a new wallet.
There is something in particular, about THIS new wallet.
Embodied in supple leather, a beautiful clasp, crisp and clean new spaces is.... transformation.

My sister is something of a phenom when it comes to finding bargains, working deals, getting on with the business of life.
She's got a rep in the family: You need a bulldog to go to a store and negotiate a tricky exchange? You call her. You need a common sense approach to life over a cappuccino? You call her. You need to let someone know you negotiated a rained out 9 mile mountain pass without mishap; you call her -- and if you don't she will be calling you to make sure you made it home safely.

So when she invited me to spend the night at her seaside home this last weekend, although it has been in my nature to sit in dark corners and lick my wounds, I decided to take her up on the offer. Late afternoon found me in the ocean community 26 miles and a world away from my home. It rained...we shopped for quiche, sinful desserts, and unexpectedly; wallets.
I've been carrying a red leather wallet that holds a lot of memories for me of my partner and our travels together. I want to set the red leather aside for awhile; let it rest until I am once again strong enough to see it without feeling awful.

My sister finds this wallet in a pile of others...one of a kind.....special.....and one of her favourite makers. It's unmarked and it turned out to be quite a labor to get the price; but as I said, my sister is a bulldog and can negotiate anything. Finders Keepers being the rule of thumb, I loved and admired the wallet, and teased her that it was far too small for her to use. I knew full well, however, and so did she, that she COULD use it... so the tease was a ruse. Our evening went on; fuzzy slippers, TV, homework help to my niece, good natured teasing... uncharacteristically I was up until 1:30 am.

It was simply the kind of evening you really really need when you have had a week of lousy days and nights.

The next morning; she smiled and handed me the wallet.
And I took it.
It will always be my embodied memory of this gentle weekend with my sister and niece.
It is just what I need to carry with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

IT IS NOT, MY DEAR, THE "ACT OF KINDNESS OF OTHERS" BUT A DEEP LOVE AND STRENGTH WE FIND FOR EACH OTHER IF WE ONLY TAKE THE TIME TO REVEAL IT WHEN THE "NEED" ARISES. FUNNY THING, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE, IT JUST TOOK A NAP FOR FAR TOO LONG. BUT WHEN THE PLANETS WERE ALIGNED JUST SO, THE MOON AND THE STARS IN THE RIGHT POSITIONS, IT REVEALED ITSELF AGAIN. IT IS I WHOM IS THE FORTUNATE ONE AS TO HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE CHANCE TO ATTRACT THE DETOUR IN YOUR PATH, AND GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY AND TRUST TO PROVIDE A LITTLE COMFORT AND COMPANIONSHIP, AND HOPEFULLY, YOUR SEASIDE STOP WILL BECOME A MUCH MORE FAMILIAR ONE FROM THIS WEEKEND ON.

Sugarplum's Mom said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous and much needed weekend. Kudos to my aunt for providing such a lovely escape.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed the planets were aligned just right and you opened up your world to take that first step to let someone help you instead of you helping so many others. Your sister's kindness of giving you a gift of the day is another first step to acepting true kindness, no strings attached to your new chapters in your fabulous life that is waiting for you, yes, you! m